Tuesday, September 10

Tomato, Spinach & Broken Wheat Stew or Tzavarabour



Tzavarabour, frankly I don’t even know if I am pronouncing it right but I’ve spelt it right. This is a traditional Armenian recipe (Republic of Armenia is a country near Turkey) which I happened to randomly hit on the web from George’s cookbook, http://www.georgefamily.net/cookbook. I was looking for a tomato-spinach soup and this recipe was quite interesting and so I picked it up. I replaced samba wheat rava for bulgar wheat which is used in the authentic recipe. It was a wholesome and light supper that I opted for yesterday; we both liked it.


Serves:  2

Preparation Time:  5 minutes

Cooking Time:  30 minutes

Ingredients:

1.      Tomato – 2 large
2.    Spinach – 7-10 leaves
3.    Bulgar wheat (samba wheat – broken or rava) – ¼ cup
4.    Garlic cloves – 3
5.     Butter – 1 tbsp
6.    Salt to taste
7.     Pepper crushed – ½ tsp
8.    Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped

Method:

Step 1: Put the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute and peel them when cool enough (I skipped this and found the small bits of tomato peels disturbing a bit while consuming); chop the peeled tomatoes and spinach into fine chunks. Peel and mince garlic cloves.



Step 2: Melt butter in a deep vessel and sauté tomatoes in it, add wheat to it, and then add stock if you’ve or add 3 cups of plain water & salt. Let it boil in simmered heat until the wheat is well cooked and soft.





Step 3: Add chopped spinach and cook further for 3 minutes by stirring occasionally. Add pepper now and turn off heat.


Step 4: Garnish with fresh coriander leaves; stir & serve immediately.


No comments: