Thursday, September 5

Butter Naan


Naan is a typical tandoori flatbread but I’ve made it in gas stove. I see tandoor cooking in Asian countries as an equivalent to barbeque in western nations.  There are mainly three things that make tandoor or barbeque cooking distinct; they heat the food directly without any medium, help cook at high temperatures and leave food with smoky/ charred flavour.  

Okay coming to my Naan making, it is another fantasy dish for me that I thought was almost impossible in a normal kitchen especially for a beginner; and I proved myself wrong by trying this last week. If I’ve made it that implies, making naan isn’t rocket science at all. I had paired it with lauki koftas that I had shared in the last post and they came out neat. 



Serves:  4

Preparation Time:  15 minutes

Resting Time: 3 hours

Cooking Time:  15 minutes

Ingredients:

1.      Maida – 5 cups
2.    Dry active yeast – 1 tsp
3.    Warm water – ½ cup
4.    Sugar – 1 tsp
5.     Kalonji – 1 tsp
6.    Salt to taste
7.     Butter  as required

Method:

Step 1: Take half a cup of warm water, mix yeast to it and sprinkle sugar for the yeast to improve for 10 minutes.


Step 2: Sieve maida, add required salt, 1 tbsp of soft butter, kalonji and add 
the dissolved yeast.  Mix well and add more water to make a soft dough. Cover and rest it for at least 3 hours.


Step 3: Make the dough into balls of 3 “ diameter and roll into circles or oblong shapes. Tawa fry on both sides for a minutes on both sides in medium heat. Alternatively use a roti maker for easier handling of dough; I prefer that as the dough is relatively stickier than phulka dough.



Step 4: Then either on a perforated papad roaster or directly on the stove roast both sides of the naan to puff it and get that tandoori feel and flavour. Puffing is not necessary.

 
Step 5: Serve greased with butter or topped with a blob of butter.


No comments: