Thursday, June 27

Avusu (A Regional Kitchadi)

I think this is a regional tiffin item that my amma frequents for dinner; technically speaking it is a type of dry Kitchadi. I remember, it is my brother’s favourite and amma prepares it whenever he comes home from hostel. My pattama prepares it slightly different from how amma prepares it and seems like my mother in law’s preparation is also not exactly like my mom’s; so I just conclude there could be multiple variants of this dish. What I tried is proper mom-style avusu as she had hand held me while doing this.


Serves: 3

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1.     Raw rice – 2 cups
2.     Split green gram – ¾ cup
3.     Onion – 1 large
4.     Carrot – 2
5.     Green chili – 1
6.     Dry chilies – 2
7.     Curry leaves – 1 sprig
8.     Urad dal – 1 tbsp
9.     Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
10.            Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
11.             Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
12.             Asafoetida – 1 pinch
13.             Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
14.            Oil – 2 tbsp
15.      Ginger - 2"

Method:
Step 1: Dry roast the picked rice and split green gram.


Step 2:  Boil enough water with salt to cook both rice and dal and add the rice-dal mixture to it. Let in cook in simmer and stir it occasionally.


Step 3: In parallel, heat oil in a kadai, temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, Bengal gram, curry leaves, dry chilies, chopped ginger, green chilies, asafoetida and sauté chopped onions in it. Then sauté chopped carrot and other vegetables of your choice to it with some salt and turmeric.


Step 4: Once the rice-dal is cooked, add the vegetables to it and mix well. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes more before turning off heat.



Step 5: Serve hot with plain curd or coconut chutney.

No comments: